The references below to J4, C14, etc. refer to journal papers, conference papers,
etc. as listed in the publications pages.
- Power Reactor HTS analysis
- R1 (1975) - Darlington's Heat Transport System
- C5 (1976), R2 (1976)
- The Thermal Hydraulic Code SOPHT as a Design Tool.
- R3 (1977) - Report by the Task Force on Bruce
G.S. "A" Steam Generators and Preheaters.
- R5 (1982) - Process Design Guide for the CANDU
Primary Heat Transport System.
- R7 (1985) - McSOFT Computer Model and Thermalhydraulic
Transient Response of the Ringhals Steam Generator.
- C6 (1982), C14 (1985)
- Design verification and quality assurance.
- R4 (1982), C7 (1983),
C8 (1984), C9 (1984),
J4 (1986) - CANDU HTS stability analysis and
commissioning: Documents a solution to a major industrial problem.
- C18 (1986), C22 (1987)
- Natural circulation two-phase flow instabilities.
- Numerical methods and Code Design
- C21 (1987), J7 (1987)
- This are root papers for an improved approach to numerical analysis of
- C16 (1985), R10 (1988)
- Development of the Thermalhydraulics Modelling Code, MEME.
- J14 (1993) - Application of the methodology
of J7 applied to the microscopic balance equations.
- C13, C15, C17,
C19, C20, C25,
C29, C30, C32
(1986-91) - Examples of work done using the methodology of J7 for a pressurizer
tank compared to experiments.
- Pedagogical look ... (prepared 1991, unpublished) - An uncluttered explanation
of the numerical approach.
- Steam table curve fits
- J6, J8 and J13
(1988-92) - The methodology of J7 requires smooth curve fits to the steam
tables. This was basically a lot of grunt work but there is novelty in the
treatment of the water-steam transition discontinuity. The fits are available
online and have been distributed worldwide.
- McMaster Nuclear Reactor
- C27 (1989) - MAPLE-MNR: Preliminary Thermalhydraulics
- R13 (1997) - CATHENA Simulation of the January
1994 Fuelling Incident.
- R14 (1997) - Thermalhydraulic Modelling of
- R15 (1997) - CATHENA Simulation of the MNR
Core with more than 8 PTR Fuel Assemblies
- R17 (1998) - CATHENA Simulation of the MNR
Core with LEU Fuel Assemblies.
- R18 (1998) - Decay Heat Estimates for the
McMaster Nuclear Reactor.
- R19 (1998) - Single Phase Friction Factors
for MNR Thermalhydraulic Modelling.
- R20 (1999) - Loss of Regulation Analysis
for the McMaster Nuclear Reactor.
- R21 (1999) - Heat Transfer Limits for the
McMaster Nuclear Reactor.
- R22 (1999) - Safety Analysis Approach for
the McMaster Nuclear Reactor.
- M25 (2002) - McMaster Nuclear Reactor Safety
Analysis Methodology Overview.
- J21 (2006) - Hydraulic Study of Turbulent Flow in MTR-type Nuclear Fuel Assembly.
- C66 (2010) - The Effect of Intermittent Operation on Local Fission Rate in the McMaster Nuclear Reactor.
- Dalat Reactor
- J20 (1999) - Thermal-Hydraulic Simulation
for Normal Operation of the Dalat Nuclear Research Reactor
- C35 (1992) - Dependence of Calculated Void Reactivity
on Film Boiling Representation.
- C43, C45 (1994-95) - Conference papers on new
CANDU fuel designs to reduce the coolant-void reactivity effect.
- J23 (2011) - The reactor physics characteristics of a transuranic mixed oxide fuel in a heavy water moderated reactor.
- McMaster Nuclear Reactor
- Concurrent engineering / distributed systems
- jointly with Dr. W.F.S.
The overall objective of this research program is to develop and integrate
diverse and disparate operational support agents for real-time complex plant
process management. These agents include data acquisition, monitoring (trend
analysis and alarm annunciation), simulation and analysis (both quantitative
and qualitative), diagnosis, and planning. When integrated into a cohesive
whole, these agents constitute a Performance Support System (PSS) whose purpose
is to assist the plant operators and technical support units so that they
can perform at the optimum capacity. This is motivated by the increased sensor
density and complexity inherent in today's nuclear plants which lead to operator
- R8 (1987), C23 (1988),
J10 (1989) - The beginnings of the building
a society of computing agents distributed over the network, all acting as
a team to model a nuclear system and provide support to the technical personnel
of operating nuclear reactors.
- C31 (1991) - An accelerator application.
- C34 (1992) - Multitasking investigation.
- R12 (1992) - A survey of the field in Canada.
- C37 (1993) - Here, the human is brought into
the loop and the problem decomposition is analysed in this light.
- C39 (1993) - The Role of AI in the Engineering
- C41 (1993) - Example of the OPUS implementation
of the above concepts. A workshop was held at McMaster on campus in 1994
based on a working system of 4 networked computers with 14 executables (DOS,
UNIX, OS/2) interacting via X-Windows. Full proceedings are available upon
- J15 (1993) - Example of concepts applied
to an accelerator.
- C42 (1993) - Presentation of the concepts at
an international conference.
- C46 (1995) - Implementation of HCI.
- C49 (1996)- MACSIM (OPUS applied to MNR). This
is where we were as of 1996 as a result of a shift in focus to our own reactor
- C59 (2004) - MNRSIM - LabWindows-based desktop simulator of MNR.
- AI / HCI
- Knowledge-based systems
- C28 (1990), J12 (1990)
- Heat Exchanger selection methodology. The heat exchanger selection methodology
has been coded and released as a commercial package.
- R11 (1990) - Knowledge Handbook, Heat Exchanger
- C40 (1993) - Applying previous ideas to heat
- Fault detection and diagnosis
- C44 (1994) - OPUS System Trend Analysis.
- C47 (1995) - Classical process control charts
are married to neural nets to improve fault detection and diagnosis.
- C48 (1996), C50 (1997)
- Principal Component Analysis (PCA). This is a new and exciting technique
for nuclear systems analysis.
- J18 (1998). Fuller version of C47.
- R16 (1998) - A report on course design (for teaching
science and engineering fundamentals to nuclear operational staff).
- C54 (2001) - Nuclear Education and Training
in the Internet Age.
- M24 (2001) - The Role of the Universities
and CANTEACH in Succession Planning.
- M26 (2002) -
Meeting Present Day Educational Challenges with UNENE.
- C56 (2003) - Preservation and Dissemination
of CANDU® Technical Knowledge (The CANTEACH Project).
- C57 (2003) - Preserving CANDU Technical Knowledge,
The CANTEACH Project.
- M27 (2004) - The CANTEACH Project: Preservation and Dissemination of CANDU Technical Knowledge.
- M28 (2004) - Canada’s Nuclear Knowledge Portal:Preservation and Dissemination of Nuclear Technical Knowledge - 2004 meeting.
- M29 (2004) - Using a Tablet PC and BB Flashback to Capture Your Lecture.
- C60 (2005) - Why It Makes Sense to Give Stuff Away (The CANTEACH Project)
- M30 (2005) - Canada’s Nuclear Knowledge Portal:Preservation and Dissemination of Nuclear Technical Knowledge - 2005 meeting.
- C62 (2006) - Preserving Technical Knowledge – When Technology's Lifetime Exceeds The Human Life Span
- M31(2006) - Canada's Nuclear Intellectual Capital: Status Review
- M32(2006) - UNENE:An Industry Driven Partnership with Universities and Government to Address Human Resource Challenge in Nuclear Sector
- M33(2006) - UNENE: Reinvigorating University-Based Education, Research and Development in Nuclear Engineering and Technology
- M34(2006) - Reinvigorating University-based Education, Research and Development in Nuclear Engineering and Technology
- M35(2006) - Reinvigorating University-Based Nuclear Education and R&D
- C63(2007) - Reinvigorating University-Based Nuclear Education and R&D
- M36(2007) - University-Based Nuclear Education and R&D
- M37(2007) - Role of Universities in Preserving and Managing Nuclear Knowledge: Canada
- M38(2008) - Getting up to Speed on Nuclear
- C64(2008) - New Postgraduate Programs in Nuclear Engineering to Meet the Needs of the Canadian Nuclear Industry
- C65(2008) - Tacit Knowledge Emergence
- R9 (1987) - Nuclear Safety in Ontario: A
Comprehensive Framework for Decision-Making and A Critical Review of Quantitative
- C61 (2006) - Loss of Coolant Accident (LOCA) Analysis for McMaster Nuclear Reactor through Probabilistic Risk Assessment (PRA)
- Grab Bag
- R6 (1984) - Modelling for inventory of Tritium
- C11 (1985) - Engineering Applications of Current
Microcomputer Software Packages.
- C52 (1998) - Building Confidence in Nuclear
- J19 (2000) - I125 Monitoring